Sunday, February 17, 2008

This One is for Jeff

Since this is my blog, I am going to take the opportunity to say that I am married to the most wonderful man on the face of this planet. I am humbled, honored, and just plain ole' bewildered that I ended up married to this man.

How did it happen you ask?

Well, one very cold wintery night, I was on my way home alone from a 30th birthday party celebration for a friend at a bar. It was snowing and I was bored so I wanted to get home. I was walking the 2 blocks to my car alone at about 1:15 in the morning after another night of being out at the bar and meeting absolutely no one of any interest. As I approached my car, I saw two guys also walking in the parking lot, which by the way, was the parking lot of St. Mary's Catholic church. As I walked I heard, "excuse me, do you the the time?" I said "sure, and I am sure you do too if either of you have a cell phone" and kept walking. They came up next to me and at first I was a bit startled. But they said.. yeah, you're right.. do you want to have a smoke with us?

Well, I was in no hurry to get home to my lonely bed and they were both dressed in suits and coats so they looked respectable, so I said sure, why not? I talked with them for about a half hour and then was cold so I said good night. Then one of them said I just want to tell you how beautiful you are and can I have your phone number? I laughed. He was cute-ish. I gave him my business card and said I don't give my number out. Sorry!

He emailed me. We emailed. We went on a date. And another and another. I moved to Chicago and he didn't let it go. Through a twist of fate, I got another job back in Detroit and came back 6 months later. We bought a house and got married.

We had the most beautiful dream wedding I could have ever imagined and an even better first year of marriage. We decided to wait to try for a baby as I had never been pregnant before, but never had a 'female' issue in my life and was a 28 day clock. My obgyn said, I'll bet you'll be pregnant in no time. So we waited. And we've now been waiting 16 months. If my first pregnancy had worked out, we'd have a 6 month old baby now. That's how is should be. But it isn't.

Jeff has taken care of me, supported me, cooked for me, cleaned for me and.... nursed me back to health through 3 surgeries and 3 pregnancy losses in these 16 months. I often ask him if he could have ever imagined what he was signing up for when he married me. He got me and all this shit.

He says he wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: